Our Birth Story- Part 1

Our Birth Story- Part 1

How I envisioned my birth story: midwife, labor at home if possible with a natural water-birth. We all have the expectations of our ideal birth plan and sometimes women are lucky enough to have their plan pan out and others not so much. I am one of those “not so much” women.

We had found a midwife we loved. She had raving reviews from people we trusted and had delivered over 1,000 babies in her career, so we were thrilled to have her expertise and guidance during this process. We saw her for every appointment and began anticipating the day that she would deliver our baby.

At my 40-week appointment, there was zero progress (first bummer) and my midwife told me that she was heading out of town for a few weeks (second bummer) but that the other midwife would be available. This was devastating to me because she knew what our hopes were for delivery and had been with us through our whole pregnancy. I knew that I would have to accept that she would not deliver my baby but at least the other midwife would be there! 

I was 41 weeks along when things finally started progressing toward labor! It was Sunday, August 28, when I woke up with very mild cramps and contractions. About midday I lost my mucus plug and knew this was exciting progress (I was so excited I texted a pictured to Alex, gross I know, but at 41 weeks you celebrate any progress! haha) By the time Alex was home from work around 3pm, my contractions were becoming more consistent. However, in true Abby form, contractions weren’t getting in the way of having friends over for dinner and games. During our game, I would pause…breathe… and tell them to just hold on a second, to let the contraction pass (at this point contractions were about every 7-8 minutes).

Once our friends went home, my contractions were about 7 minutes apart but still manageable…In the back of my mind I was trying to remember the 5-1-1 rule: Contractions 5 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute, for 1 hour. I knew that once I met this number we could head to the hospital if we wanted to. We went ahead and called the midwife after hour number and was prompted to a Doctor. She told us that unfortunately no midwives were in town to deliver our baby. I couldn’t believe it, I had my heart set on midwife and now that was not an option anymore. I had to pray for peace and celebrate that this baby was coming with or without a midwife.

It was 10 pm and contractions were steady at 6 minutes apart, I was feeling good and strong. We went ahead and told my dad to drive up from Delta and my mom to make her way from Flagstaff. Alex and I decided to try and get some sleep and went to bed… (this was joke, there was no way I was going to sleep!) Every time I would lay down a contraction would come on. To cope with contractions, I would get on all fours, sway with Alex or sit on the exercise ball. To help me try and relax Alex recommended I get in the shower, and once I did contractions immediately started coming on every 3 minutes! I jumped out of the shower and yelled, "honey I think we need to go!" We frantically grabbed our hospital bag and made our way to the hospital, all with me groaning and nervous that this girlie was going to come in the car!

Stay tuned for my next blog post about what happened once we got to the hospital!

Abby is a first time Mom, and an amazing team member of Baja Baby. She lives in Colorado with her husband Alex, their beautiful new baby girl Amelia Grace and Maple the dog.

You can find Abby on Instagram by clicking here.

Follow Baja Baby on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram today!

Download a PDF version of this blog entry on our Scribd page by clicking here.

Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.